WhatPulse Forums » Support » Client software v » Application uploading not yet supported in Linux client? Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Application uploading not yet supported in Linux client?
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Application uploading not yet supported in Linux client?
Just a quick question from the title.

I don't see the additional options that were added in the windows client, but I do get the dropdown menu as shown in the screenshot. However, manually uploading applications doesn't seem to have worked (I tried multiple times about 6 hours ago and nothing has shown up on my profile). Is this intended or is something going wrong?

[Image: i8dZcwF3wLxla.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: Application uploading not yet supported in Linux client?
It's supposed to be missing. It seems as I forgot to hide 're-upload applications' on Linux. ;-)

Linux is a nightmare when it comes to application info, so the client might support Linux in the future, but I'm not betting on it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2013, 05:42 AM
I figured that it wouldn't be very easy. No worries, just wanted to know what was up!
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Anything new on that topic?

possible the only way is via rpm/deb (pacman or whatever the distributions use as package manager).

Anyone knows how wakoopa did get these informations?
01-09-2014, 09:23 PM
(01-09-2014 08:04 PM)Megachip Wrote:  Anything new on that topic?

possible the only way is via rpm/deb (pacman or whatever the distributions use as package manager).

Anyone knows how wakoopa did get these informations?

Probably not. Even with rpm/deb/pacman/whatever, there are too many application databases and it becomes a pain to track it all.
01-09-2014, 11:02 PM
(01-09-2014 09:23 PM)newton Wrote:  Probably not. Even with rpm/deb/pacman/whatever, there are too many application databases and it becomes a pain to track it all.
possible you're right... but I think using rpm/deb will catch 90% of all distributions... (except mine Sad )
01-10-2014, 04:09 PM
in my ubuntu machine whatpulse is seeing the apps that have been run and the times they've been running (as long as you install/run whatpulse as the same user and not as root)

so i have a nice list of apps and their respective durations. It's sad that they don't appear on my account; there are quite some recognizable apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, Gnome-Commander, google-chrome, steam, etc etc

I really think that if they can be put in a nice list on my computer, and that list looks quite the same like if i boot to windows on that machine; what can be the problem to upload that list of applications?
Maybe you guys could start with a seperate category; Linux-Apps before intermingling all the apps in one big melting pot? And if the seperated apps work out fine, we could work from there and see which things can be added to the general apps database. Maybe we could add (Lx) suffix to the linux apps; to distinguish them from the windows apps; just to keep things clear (and not getting certain windows tools mixed up with linux tools that do something completely different like cat.exe vs cat (lx) (info: cat.exe = code amber ticker, cat (lx) is a built in tool/command for linux for duplicating/creating txt files; a bit like "Copy" & "copy con" in windows)

anyways, i'm deferring... i just hope we can finally show off our linux tools we're using and how much we're using them in our stats ... cuz that's what's stats are for!
01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Linux apps don't (or don't have to) provide application information, like version or vendor. The website needs this information before it accepts new applications, otherwise the identifying process does not work and it cannot 'file' the application in a proper place.

Considering there's a large set of 'IF's (if rpm, if deb, if apt, if whatever, ignoring system binaries, and i'm probably forgetting some stuff) and the percentage (1.41%) of computers running the Linux client, it has not been given priority.
01-10-2014, 10:50 PM
(01-10-2014 07:24 PM)smitmartijn Wrote:  ...
Your point ...

But, if there are free developer resources, why not put it on todo with ultra low priority?

for 95 % of the 1.41% there are still ony to ifs deb or rpm... but sure, you both are right, this should not get to much priority.
01-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Who says it's not on the todo list? ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not tracking a certain application d1tzl 1 105 08-26-2019 04:35 PM
Last Post: DrEx
  [SOLVED] Can't run the Linux version [Driver not loaded Driver not loaded] radioz 2 776 06-20-2019 11:54 AM
Last Post: radioz
  WhatPulse not opening on Manjaro Linux (Arch distro) tboxley 4 590 05-26-2019 11:30 AM
Last Post: FamilienVater
  [SOLVED] Error uploading keyboard/mouse heatmap Wopian 2 650 03-17-2017 12:26 PM
Last Post: Wopian
  Mac client causing latency every ~10 seconds bryandh 10 2,066 03-09-2017 04:50 PM
Last Post: DJLunacy
Information [CLOSED] Mouse distance counter in Windows client. TigraPolosatiy 1 570 02-27-2017 05:30 PM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  Client crash on launch (v2.7.1) Sovex66 13 2,195 02-27-2017 09:31 AM
Last Post: Dosphal
Bug Client doing an insane amount of writing to disk Formina_Sage 4 978 11-04-2016 04:47 PM
  [SOLVED] Client crashes on startup v. 2.7 Win10x64 Lttngblt 11 2,465 10-08-2016 06:43 PM
  [CLOSED] Client Crash macOS Sierra SeeEmAge 3 1,129 09-15-2016 03:42 AM