WhatPulse Forums » Feature requests » Client software v » Suggestion - Computer Hours Welcome back, Guest.

Poll: What Do You Want, Computer/Whatpulse Uptime?
Computer Usage Uptime
Whatpulse Usage Uptime
Either/Both Usage Uptime
None, Don't Like The Idea of Uptime
No Opinion, Can't Say What I Think About Uptime
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suggestion - Computer Hours
03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Why does it have to be accurate? the mileage is a great example on inaccuracy, in 1.6 now if I move my mouse 12cm "IRL", whatpulse tells me I've moved it almost 3 meters. The old version counted the cursor on the screen, thus not actually count mileage of my mouse.

So why does "time spent on keyboard" be so accurate, me personally would gladly see an estimate of my time spent using my keyboard and mouse. Or else with your way of thinking the mileage should be removed too, because of inaccuracy :-P

"You don't know when you might need a tank" - Jericho
Homepage: http://Quarzi.mine.nu/eng for the non swedes x)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Also may i point out, i don't think they are going to dismiss the idea just because you disagree countless times Shawn. Smile I think Quarzi wins Big Grin

Join My Team The Universal Union, No password and were Universally Pulsing to the end
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Quarzi Wrote:Why does it have to be accurate? the mileage is a great example on inaccuracy, in 1.6 now if I move my mouse 12cm "IRL", whatpulse tells me I've moved it almost 3 meters.
It's more accurate than counting how long you've been at your computer would be, and it still requires some sort of physical interaction from you in order to count.

Quarzi Wrote:So why does "time spent on keyboard" be so accurate, me personally would gladly see an estimate of my time spent using my keyboard and mouse. Or else with your way of thinking the mileage should be removed too, because of inaccuracy :-P
You could simply tape down a key and let it repeat over and over in notepad while you're sleeping so whatpulse still 'thinks' you're at the computer holding down that key, or referring to previous posts, you could leave a fullscreen movie up and just have it paused, or have it repeat over again when the movie finishes.

GitHub
Wishlist - Have I helped you in some way? Thank me by buying something on my wishlist! (There's even cheap things I need so you don't have to break your bank thanking me :3)
[Image: 227041.jpg]
03-20-2009, 06:10 PM
You are really finding a away to stop this idea from being developed aren't you, you don't even realize if it does get implemented you don't have to use it so stop complaining.

Join My Team The Universal Union, No password and were Universally Pulsing to the end
03-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Beardie27 Wrote:You are really finding a away to stop this idea from being developed aren't you, you don't even realize if it does get implemented you don't have to use it so stop complaining.
I'm just pointing out how inaccurate it's going to be for the people that do use it, and how easy it's going to be to cheat on it. Is there really a point in developing something that everyone can easily cheat on? I think not. I'd rather see more development go into the Linux client than this.

GitHub
Wishlist - Have I helped you in some way? Thank me by buying something on my wishlist! (There's even cheap things I need so you don't have to break your bank thanking me :3)
03-20-2009, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009 06:53 PM by Quarzi.)
The problem (I think) is that Windows, Linux and Mac OSX have to be developed by different persons, if not one person knows his way around all of them, so when the Windows coder is finished, he has nothing to do because he don't know the programming that needs to be done in any other OS?

But as I also said before, ofc the main resources should go into making all the current things work.

And btw Beardie27. It's probably better if we discuss every possibility with this now rather than later, both negative and positive feedback about the idea.
In the end it's all up to bobL, Wasted and the other admins to implant the idea or not.

Edit: Oh, and if someone really want's to cheat and have some imagination, it's easy to build a machine out of Lego, lolipops, metal or whatever that taps one key for you all day long. Or you can just bang on your keyboard (yes, interaction needed ofc), but it's not "really" counting anything you write, it's just jibberish.

03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry i was just getting annoyed by you too going back and forth about the same argument.

OK then we could have it so that if a single key has been down held down there is way to stop recording, to stop people holding keys down. And whilst watching a movie it wouldn't be recording because it only stops and starts when you click keys and move the mouse.

03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Beardie27 Wrote:OK then we could have it so that if a single key has been down held down there is way to stop recording.
What if you're playing a game that requires holding down a key? Most racing games you're required to hold a key down to gain speed.

GitHub
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
And when do you turn? do you plan to go straight ahead all the time? Tongue

03-20-2009, 07:22 PM
True you would not have to hold down one key forever, pressing other keys would show you are using the computer. And holding down multiple keys would be stop the recording, so it could be programmed that if a key is being held down for longer than 3-4 minutes with out any other keys being pressed the recording stops. Until another key is pressed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion: Geek window responsiveness Robby250 5 2,542 10-01-2014 06:04 AM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  Most active hours view Kukis13 0 1,227 08-12-2014 08:29 AM
Last Post: Kukis13
  Suggestion - Power Beardie27 5 6,066 03-27-2009 11:50 PM
Last Post: Beardie27
  Suggestion-- Vista "gadget" masuccj 22 25,963 08-06-2008 05:16 AM
Last Post: luddite