WhatPulse Forums
Spam blocker - Printable Version

+- WhatPulse Forums (http://whatpulse.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Spam blocker (/showthread.php?tid=1932)

Spam blocker - Robby250 - 11-27-2012 10:33 PM

Hey, I initially wanted to name this account the same as my Whatpulse account, Robby250, but your forums wouldn't let me because I was detected as a spammer or something for some reason which I'm not aware of, but at the same time this account name worked. So I would like to know 2 things:

1. If you could check this out this anti-spam thing so that new users can actually make accounts
2. If this account could be renamed to Robby250.

Thank you.

Spam blocker - Century0 - 11-28-2012 02:19 PM

Whatisthisidonteven Wrote:Hey, I initially wanted to name this account the same as my Whatpulse account, Robby250, but your forums wouldn't let me because I was detected as a spammer or something for some reason which I'm not aware of, but at the same time this account name worked. So I would like to know 2 things:

1. If you could check this out this anti-spam thing so that new users can actually make accounts
2. If this account could be renamed to Robby250.

Thank you.

I checked the logs of banned users and banned usernames and did not see anything with that name, so I'm not sure what happened unless you typed a captcha wrong? As far as renaming goes, you will have to wait for Martijn, as I don't have access to do it.

~Century0

Spam blocker - Robby250 - 11-28-2012 08:07 PM

Century0 Wrote:I checked the logs of banned users and banned usernames and did not see anything with that name, so I'm not sure what happened unless you typed a captcha wrong?

I'm pretty sure I got it right as I tried making the account around 7-10 times, every time I refreshed the captcha until I got a perfectly readable one. And as soon as I tried this name, it worked instantly. I forgot to mention that I tried this name using a different email from the one I used when trying the other username.

Speaking of emails I've also tried changing my email on the actual Whatpulse website and after I click "Submit changes" it says that my profile has been updated, but as soon as I refresh the page it shows that it's using the old email again, and I don't receive any confirmation messages on either email accounts, yes I have checked the spam folders and everything.

Spam blocker - smitmartijn - 11-28-2012 09:42 PM

It simply looks for certain patterns. This was yours:

Block due to username ending with numbers and hotmail.com as email

Username renamed.

Spam blocker - Robby250 - 11-28-2012 09:46 PM

Thanks. That pattern filter is kind of dumb though IMO.

Spam blocker - smitmartijn - 11-28-2012 09:50 PM

Not really, it blocks about 550 spambots in a day.

Spam blocker - Robby250 - 11-28-2012 09:53 PM

2 more things, I wanted to edit my previous post but I got 2 power failures in a row:

1. Still doesn't answer why I can't change my account's email on the actual Whatpulse website as described here: "Speaking of emails I've also tried changing my email on the actual Whatpulse website and after I click "Submit changes" it says that my profile has been updated, but as soon as I refresh the page it shows that it's using the old email again, and I don't receive any confirmation messages on either email accounts, yes I have checked the spam folders and everything."

2. I think I just double pulsed and I don't want to make a new thread about it. When it should've automatically pulsed I got a server error and was told to try again later, so I kept trying to pulse and then it finally pulsed. Now I see 2 pulses in 2 seconds, the second one having 6095 KP/s lol

Spam blocker - Century0 - 11-29-2012 04:46 PM

Robby250 Wrote:2 more things, I wanted to edit my previous post but I got 2 power failures in a row:

1. Still doesn't answer why I can't change my account's email on the actual Whatpulse website as described here: "Speaking of emails I've also tried changing my email on the actual Whatpulse website and after I click "Submit changes" it says that my profile has been updated, but as soon as I refresh the page it shows that it's using the old email again, and I don't receive any confirmation messages on either email accounts, yes I have checked the spam folders and everything."

2. I think I just double pulsed and I don't want to make a new thread about it. When it should've automatically pulsed I got a server error and was told to try again later, so I kept trying to pulse and then it finally pulsed. Now I see 2 pulses in 2 seconds, the second one having 6095 KP/s lol

I don't see the second issue that you're speaking of. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong times. As for the first thing, once again, that's martijn.

~Century0

Spam blocker - Robby250 - 11-29-2012 05:08 PM

Century0 Wrote:I don't see the second issue that you're speaking of. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong times.

Smitmartijn fixed the second issue a few minutes after I posted that, which is why you can't see it anymore Tongue