WhatPulse Forums » Support » Client software v » [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed? Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
01-30-2015, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 11:13 PM by smitmartijn.)
Wink [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
I had installed Whatpulse 2.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 X64 few days ago and it was working with every computer start. But suddenly today when I started the computer, The Whatpulse icon didn't appear on the top panel. I looked for Whatpulse on '/usr/share/applications' and also '/usr/bin' but It was not there.I opened the Terminal and entered 'sudo apt-get install wh', pressed Tab key twice to get autocomplete suggestion based on installed applicaions, But Whatpulse wasn't there too.

The only thing that has been left is '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-whatpulse-touchpad-rules.conf' file which I had added lines to count trackpad clicks:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "whatpulse touchpad configuration"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
Option "GrabEventDevice" "false"
EndSection

What happened to Whatpulse? How is it removed by itself?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2015, 08:38 PM
RE: Whatpulse linux client has gone suddenly and left nothing behind
The Linux client doesn't have an updater, nor can the client just up and decide to remove itself. It's smart, but not that smart. ;-)

We don't distribute the client in a package, but if you're using apt-get to install it somehow, it might be possible you removed it as a dependancy of something else? I suggest looking at some audit logs.

If your data file is still there (http://whatpulse.org/kb/content/2/6/en/d...les.html), you can simply reinstall the client continue with the same data.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2015, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 11:11 PM by 1geeky.)
Ah, I'm getting something now. Where are the files of Whatpulse application located AFTER installation?

Could I remove those extracted files from compressed "whatpulse-linux-64bit-2.5.tar.gz" after installing Whatpulse by them? Or the app needs them for later runs? If the app needs them yet, I guess should place them in an appropriate place, then install Whatpulse by those files. While untill now I have extracted.gz archive in my 'Downloads' folder, and was installing Whatpluse from files right there, Then removed installation files in my 'Downloads' folder.

About data files, What does this mean? Where is it? :
Linux:
- 2.0: Todo

And thank to you now I know that all apps are installed, aren't available through apt-get. (Apps which installed directly as Whatpulse)

Thanks
01-30-2015, 11:13 PM
(01-30-2015 11:07 PM)1geeky Wrote:  Ah, I'm getting something now. Where are the files of Whatpulse application located AFTER installation?

Where you leave them. "Installation" of the WhatPulse client on Linux is defined as unzipping the download file and running the client. There's no installation wizard or anything, you might have noticed.
01-30-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: [SOLVED] Whatpulse linux client removed?
Yes my bad. Sorry I'm newbie.

So Where do you suggest to place them? I have installed it again. Should I re-install after moving files?
What happens to auto start-up on system boot then?

Also the location of
Linux:
is sill vague to me.

Thanks
01-30-2015, 11:30 PM
(01-30-2015 11:21 PM)1geeky Wrote:  So Where do you suggest to place them? I have installed it again. Should I re-install after moving files?

Somewhere where you know where to find it. ;-) And like I said, there is no installation of the client, just placement and running it.

(01-30-2015 11:21 PM)1geeky Wrote:  What happens to auto start-up on system boot then?

Depending on what OS you have, you might need to create a startup entry inside your system settings.

(01-30-2015 11:21 PM)1geeky Wrote:  Also the location of
Linux:
is sill vague to me.

I've got no idea what you mean by this..If you're talking about the KB article, you might need to refresh your browser cache or something, because it has a very old page.
01-31-2015, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 03:25 PM by 1geeky.)
Thanks for updating KB :)
01-31-2015, 03:51 PM
i suggest you make a subfolder in you home directory for whatpulse...

if you install it to /usr/bin you'll always be messing around with changing userrights on the file; if you install it within a subdir of your homefolder you can always run it without having to sudo/gksudo first, changes will always be saved and updating is nothing more then just closing whatpulse and replacing the old binary with the new one.

that's at least how i have done it, and it works like a charm!
01-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks bogy Smile the permission point was noteworthy.
02-01-2015, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 04:15 PM by 1geeky.)
Hi again,

About what you mentioned bogy, I had placed Whatpulse folder inside /opt (outside the home directory) and it's running well, Also starts automatically with every system start. Maybe the 'setup-input-permissions.sh' script did the care of these things too?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Whatpulse isn't running after upgrading Ubuntu 1geeky 0 50 08-06-2019 05:46 AM
Last Post: 1geeky
  Server error: Missing input! with whatpulse 2.8.4 on Win10 Franck.Dernoncourt 2 303 07-28-2019 08:11 PM
Last Post: Franck.Dernoncourt
  WhatPulse 64bit install on Lubuntu 19.04 SiKTheGreatOne 0 163 06-30-2019 02:49 AM
Last Post: SiKTheGreatOne
  [SOLVED] Can't run the Linux version [Driver not loaded Driver not loaded] radioz 2 680 06-20-2019 11:54 AM
Last Post: radioz
  WhatPulse not opening on Manjaro Linux (Arch distro) tboxley 4 508 05-26-2019 11:30 AM
Last Post: FamilienVater
  Whatpulse won't start, Unable to install crashRpt! Bai.Bing 0 195 05-24-2019 01:02 PM
Last Post: Bai.Bing
  Whatpulse is not recognizing internet traffic Lodisen 8 709 05-22-2019 05:35 PM
Last Post: Trapton
Exclamation giving pcap permissions breaks whatpulse ajencks1 0 299 04-18-2019 01:08 AM
Last Post: ajencks1
  [SOLVED] Error uploading keyboard/mouse heatmap Wopian 2 585 03-17-2017 12:26 PM
Last Post: Wopian
  Mac client causing latency every ~10 seconds bryandh 10 1,889 03-09-2017 04:50 PM
Last Post: DJLunacy