WhatPulse Forums » Feature requests » Client software v » Suggestion - Computer Hours Welcome back, Guest.

Poll: What Do You Want, Computer/Whatpulse Uptime?
Computer Usage Uptime
Whatpulse Usage Uptime
Either/Both Usage Uptime
None, Don't Like The Idea of Uptime
No Opinion, Can't Say What I Think About Uptime
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suggestion - Computer Hours
03-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Or even shorter, if you press a key it starts counting 5 sec (or whatever seems good), if no new key have been pressed or the mouse have been used it stops recording after those 5 sec.

"You don't know when you might need a tank" - Jericho
Homepage: http://Quarzi.mine.nu/eng for the non swedes x)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Finding out who puts the book down on the keyboard and who is actually typing is pretty straightforward. Remember that you can't accumulate keystrokes this way, either. One simple possibility is to track the time of the last keystroke or mouse click, but this gets to be resource-intensive. Now, instead of having a mere counter, you've got to keep track of times and such.

Also, I'm actually pretty glad that this back & forth is here - this is how great ideas are made. Just make sure you're not re-stating the same thing over and over again, and make sure you're actually listening to each other Wink

[Image: XKalSig1.png]
03-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Well i just thought of a more unusual thing time measuring variable. computer idle time. Maybe we could have Whatpulse measure the amount of time you screensaver is on? Now i was thinking thought some people people might think its pretty pointless, some might not.

Now you may be thinking that people are just going to put there screensaver on, on purpose, but they can't thats the beauty of it, because if they do they can't us the Computer.

Hence the computer is idle.

Just a thought (maybe pointless)

Join My Team The Universal Union, No password and were Universally Pulsing to the end
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
What about those of us who dont use screensavers?

Cairde Na hEireann - Tiocfaidh ár lá
03-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Quarzi Wrote:Then we take an other example.
The windows screensaver, how does it know when I'm watching a movie either in fullscreen or a window and don't turn my screensaver on?

Thats easy Wink There is a registry setting being set or process that is notified by your media player or another program that suppresses the launch of the screen saver. Some programs even allow this to be adjusted.
But it's not very accurate. It's not always right. On my machines sometimes the screensaver won't go on for an hour even when set to 5 minutes and no movie playing.

The whole uptime thing... I think there was/is a project called "project uptime" for exactly that thing.

if you have linux or mac osx just type "uptime" on the shell and see the current uptime of your system. But be aware, it just shows the realtime passed since the last boot. On my macbook it shows 33 days, but thats because I only put it to standby when I'm not using it.
On windows there is an uptime.exe somewhere. I think it had to be copied from the CD because it's not installed by default, does about the same (didn't test that standby thing though) and a bit more: you can see a bit like a backlog of all (re)boots and the cause of them (crashes or manually triggered) for some time.
03-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Windows works the same as Mac and Linux then it comes to uptime. Put it into standby, it'll keep on counting when it resumes etcetc.

There WAS a Project Uptime, but it ended two years ago. If there's going to be anything added into WP, it'll be pure uptime.
03-23-2009, 01:38 AM
I think I was registred on Project uptime once, but about 6 month later everything went down :-(, haven't bothered to get something new like it.

If I want to check my uptime I just double click on my local network icon in tray and woila, there it is :-P.
On my server however I have a php script that checks how long my c:\\pagefile.sys have been up and running, then I can just go to my homepage and check for that computer :-)

"You don't know when you might need a tank" - Jericho
Homepage: http://Quarzi.mine.nu/eng for the non swedes x)
03-30-2009, 01:40 PM
So is adding an uptime option into Whatpulse possible? or just inpractical. The idea of having it just record roughly around the amount of time ou type for and move your mouse sounds, good.

I think everyone is agreed on the idea of having it recording whilst whatpulse is open all the time, to be a bad one, people would just leave the pcs/macs on forever just to record time.

Are there any other ways of recording this? or is this to be scrapped and other crazy idea taken up.

Like having Whatpulse record what number keys you click, and adding each number to a bigger number to see, like if i click 1 them 2 i would be on 3, then if i click 1 again i go to 4 etc.

Join My Team The Universal Union, No password and were Universally Pulsing to the end
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
The programs you would be competing against with this is Wakoopa especially, and anything gaming based, Xfire.

http://www.suckmytrend.com

[Image: Slow2die.png]
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Beardie27 Wrote:So is adding an uptime option into Whatpulse possible? or just inpractical. The idea of having it just record roughly around the amount of time ou type for and move your mouse sounds, good.

I think everyone is agreed on the idea of having it recording whilst whatpulse is open all the time, to be a bad one, people would just leave the pcs/macs on forever just to record time.

Are there any other ways of recording this? or is this to be scrapped and other crazy idea taken up.

Like having Whatpulse record what number keys you click, and adding each number to a bigger number to see, like if i click 1 them 2 i would be on 3, then if i click 1 again i go to 4 etc.

Oh, I'm sure it's possible - I think the questions are:
1) How do we define uptime? Does it just measure how long your computer is turned on, or how long you're actively using it?
2) Do we *want* this feature included? (A simple poll might clear this one up)
3) Does wasted want this feature included? I think that this is the most important question! :razz:

[Image: XKalSig1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestion: Geek window responsiveness Robby250 5 2,545 10-01-2014 06:04 AM
Last Post: smitmartijn
  Most active hours view Kukis13 0 1,227 08-12-2014 08:29 AM
Last Post: Kukis13
  Suggestion - Power Beardie27 5 6,066 03-27-2009 11:50 PM
Last Post: Beardie27
  Suggestion-- Vista "gadget" masuccj 22 25,971 08-06-2008 05:16 AM