WhatPulse Forums » Community » Beta client » Archive v » Feedback Welcome back, Guest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feedback
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 06:07 AM by Robby250.)
Feedback
So I just got the beta client a few minutes ago so I can help report bugs and give my opinions in improving it.

If it's relevant, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and Whatpulse 2.0b7.

- The main reason why I got it is to test whether this version tracks keys pressed while holding the alt modifier, unlike the live version, and it doesn't, which is a huge drawback in my opinion, because there are a lot of games and applications which use the alt modifier (RPGs with a lot of abilities to bind, for example), and this means that not all keys are being tracked.

- Virtual keys from the simple automation scripts I have are still being counted, which is bad because it's easy to cheat this way, even if there are a lot of other ways to cheat removing some of them wouldn't be bad (I rarely use my own scripts though).

- I love the keyboard heatmap and it would be nice if it would include the arrows, numeric pad and insert, delete, etc. If they weren't added because it takes up space in the window they could be added as a toggle (Ex: a checkbox which says "Toggle numpad display" or something). I use the numpad a lot in Guitar Hero and I would appreciate if it was added.

- I noticed that the keys and clicks display from the bubble you get by mouseovering the Whatpulse icon in the system tray is gone. It was a nice way to see how many keys and clicks you got without using the geek window.

- This is how my application activity looks like after running the client for around 4 hours, not only that it doesn't display anything but the numbers above 9 are displayed incorrectly too: http://i.imgur.com/51YXi.png

- While editing the picture above in Paint, Whatpulse simply crashed, and it only said it stopped working, I don't know why and I don't know how to find out more about it either, so I'm not sure how this is going to help.

I also have some questions:

- When is 2.0 being released? I couldn't find this information anywhere but the fact that the premium beta account expires on 16-12-2012 hints that that's the release date.

- What does the Work Offline option do? Does it stop the client from automatically pulsing when you don't have internet and one of the toggled auto-pulse requirements have been met, or does it do something else and it's obligatory to enable it so that your keys are saved when you don't have internet, to be able to pulse later?

This thread got removed earlier without me receiving any notification or warning. Did a moderator remove it? If so, what did I do wrong? If not, did the forum roll back or something?

Oh yeah, feel free to remove it again if I did something wrong and it was removed intentionally, also feel free to ban me, why not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Feedback
Robby250 Wrote:- I love the keyboard heatmap..

The reason why it's not there is because of the fact that every keyboard is different. It might be added when we find a proper way to display it.

Robby250 Wrote:- I noticed that the keys and clicks display from the bubble you get

Already added! :-)

Robby250 Wrote:- This is how my application activity looks like

The activity graph has some quirks, one of them is that is does not like if you leave the window open. When you close it and look at it again, it should be fine.

Robby250 Wrote:- When is 2.0 being released? I couldn't find this information anywhere but the fact that the premium beta account expires on 16-12-2012 hints that that's the release date.

There is no date. The premium expiration is on a per user basis and it has nothing to do with the actual progress.

Robby250 Wrote:- What does the Work Offline option do?

Simple; when enabled, the client will not contact the server in any capacity. So no (automatic) pulsing, no version checks.

Robby250 Wrote:This thread got removed earlier without me receiving any notification or warning.

I had some issues with the database servers yesterday, which might explain that. There is no mod log about it in either case.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Feedback
I don't really know what the bandwidth per country tab does but I'm gonna assume that it shows how much I downloaded and uploaded from/to certain countries or something. Well, when browsing the map, if you zoom in with the scroll you can't move the map around, it zooms in towards the top left corner until you can't see anything anymore.

I also couldn't help but notice that you ignored the issues with not tracking buttons while holding the alt modifier and tracking of keys sent by scripts and such. This could be because it involves changing the way the program counts the keys from the computer and you don't want to bother messing with that, or because you've tested lots of other tracking ways and this one was the best.
I'm not good with computers but as I've mentioned in another thread I have a program I have obtained from somewhere which maybe you could dissect and find out how it tracks the keys, because that key counter doesn't have any of the mentioned issues with the counting.

If not at least provide a reason why you don't want to talk about it and I'm gonna chill. Smile
12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Feedback
Robby250 Wrote:I don't really know what the bandwidth per country tab does but I'm gonna assume that it shows how much I downloaded and uploaded from/to certain countries or something. Well, when browsing the map, if you zoom in with the scroll you can't move the map around, it zooms in towards the top left corner until you can't see anything anymore.

I also couldn't help but notice that you ignored the issues with not tracking buttons while holding the alt modifier and tracking of keys sent by scripts and such. This could be because it involves changing the way the program counts the keys from the computer and you don't want to bother messing with that, or because you've tested lots of other tracking ways and this one was the best.
I'm not good with computers but as I've mentioned in another thread I have a program I have obtained from somewhere which maybe you could dissect and find out how it tracks the keys, because that key counter doesn't have any of the mentioned issues with the counting.

If not at least provide a reason why you don't want to talk about it and I'm gonna chill. Smile

It's a known issue and has been addressed previously.

~Century0
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 06:47 PM by Robby250.)
Feedback
Century0 Wrote:It's a known issue and has been addressed previously.

~Century0

I think you're talking about the bandwidth map, because I've seen the issue with key tracking since around 2 years ago and it's the only reason why I didn't keep my account back then when I first tried it. I considered it too inaccurate. I haven't seen any recent threads or discussions about it either.

I have a suggestion about editing 'Computer' names. Why not assign each computer an individual ID so that you can rename them without having to pulse and log out first. And on the next pulse or the first time the server is contacted or whatever, the computer name is updated locally too, but the pulse would still work even if you didn't pulse before renaming because the stats are sent to the ID, not the name, if you know what I'm trying to say.

The same can be applied to editing usernames one way or another, if it hasn't been already, considering that every user has an individual ID.
12-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Feedback
Robby250 Wrote:I think you're talking about the bandwidth map, because I've seen the issue with key tracking since around 2 years ago and it's the only reason why I didn't keep my account back then when I first tried it. I considered it too inaccurate. I haven't seen any recent threads or discussions about it either.

I have a suggestion about editing 'Computer' names. Why not assign each computer an individual ID so that you can rename them without having to pulse and log out first. And on the next pulse or the first time the server is contacted or whatever, the computer name is updated locally too, but the pulse would still work even if you didn't pulse before renaming because the stats are sent to the ID, not the name, if you know what I'm trying to say.

The same can be applied to editing usernames one way or another, if it hasn't been already, considering that every user has an individual ID.

I like this idea. I don't know how easy this will be to implement, however. From what I see, it should be possible... but since I'm no programmer, I can't be certain.

[Image: XKalSig1.png]
12-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Feedback
Robby250 Wrote:I've seen the issue with key tracking since around 2 years ago and it's the only reason why I didn't keep my account back then when I first tried it. I considered it too inaccurate. I haven't seen any recent threads or discussions about it either.

That's because it isn't a thing; if you hold a modifier and type other keys, it will count these other keys. The modifier will be counted when you release it.

Robby250 Wrote:I have a suggestion about editing 'Computer' names...

This is for a reason; we don't want people to change their computer name as part of the concept of "Computers". A computer name is not changed, only during installation of the OS.

The username can (in 1.* also) be changed without having to relogin into the client(s).
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 06:32 AM by Robby250.)
Feedback
smitmartijn Wrote:That's because it isn't a thing; if you hold a modifier and type other keys, it will count these other keys. The modifier will be counted when you release it.
Have you tried holding alt and pressing other keys? The alt does count on release, but the other keys pressed while alt is held don't. Ctrl and shift don't have any issues, nor do any other combinations such as alt+ctrl, shift+ctrl, alt+shift, ctrl+alt+shift. Just the keys pressed while alt is held don't count, at least for me.

EDIT: I'm also wondering, and it's a simple question so it's not worth a new thread, If there is a limit to the amount of "computers" you can have at one time? I for instance only use one computer but I use the "computers" for tracking the different keyboards I use, and eventually as keyboards break the number of total keyboards used is going to grow.
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Feedback
smitmartijn Wrote:This is for a reason; we don't want people to change their computer name as part of the concept of "Computers". A computer name is not changed, only during installation of the OS.

Windows 7 lets you change the computer name at any time.

[Image: changecomputername.png]

[Image: XKalSig1.png]
12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Feedback
Robby250 Wrote:The alt does count on release, but the other keys pressed while alt is held don't.

They do, but it's a matter of which application is on focus. There are a lot which keep the keys to themselves when holding a modifier. Try it without any application on focus and they will count. Otherwise there is another application that keeps the keys from other applications.

Robby250 Wrote:EDIT: I'm also wondering, and it's a simple question so it's not worth a new thread, If there is a limit to the amount of "computers" you can have at one time?

There is no limit, but that's kind of an odd way to use them. Every time you switch a keyboard you have to log off..

X-Kal Wrote:Windows 7 lets you change the computer name at any time.

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying you wouldn't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Feedback on Weekly Activity Report AmokOwe 3 5,192 01-21-2014 11:47 AM
Last Post: Megachip